ServerGraph - A Spectrum Protect Management and Automation tool
While this section and page is about Spectrum Protect, Rocket Servergraph Professional lets you monitor your entire backup environment, including Spectrum Protect, Symantec NetBackup, EMC Avamar, NetWorker and Data Domain, IBM Spectrum Protect FastBack, IBM ProtecTIER, Veeam, Sepaton and Gresham EDT
Servergraph is easy to install. It comes with detailed documentation so there is no point in reproducing it here. Some third party software is required for the install, including MySQL DBMS, Apache web server and Perl. The automatic install will check for these and install them for you, if they do not exist already.
One advantage Servergraph has over some other Spectrum Protect reporting products is that it only needs to be installed on one machine, it does not need agents installed on every TSM server or client.
Servergraph extracts data from the Spectrum Protect databases and logs and formats that data into its own MySQL database. That minimises the performance overhead on TSM, as data processing and interpretation is carried out away from the Spectrum Protect databases
ServerGraph Alerting traps all the Spectrum Protect error messages and picks out the two hundred or so that are important. It can pass these to Tivoli TEC or other messaging products as SNPE alerts.
It is possible to tailor the Servergraph management dashboard, but the default provides lots of useful information, including a summary of the results from the previous day's backups, a 30 day backup history, a summary of the state of the databases and logs and a summary of the state of the tape volume and drives. This lets you get an instant impression of the state of the backups and backup infrastructure on one screen. You can then drill down into most of these summaries and get detail, and extract that detail as Excel or csv files. Dashboard statistics are updated automatically throughout the day. An example of the Servergraph main screen is shown below.
You can expand the left hand menu to get details about the whole enterprise, or for individual servers. Expand the 'enterprise' menu then the 'nodes' menu and select 'top 50 storage abusers'. This will list fifty nodes sorted by their 'hog factor', which is the ratio of primary to local storage. I've found this report to be very useful to identify nodes where the retention period is incorrect, and so is keeping
backups for far too long.
While the picture above just shows Spectrum Protect servers, if you run Symantec NetBackup, EMC Avamar, NetWorker and Data Domain, IBM TSM FastBack, IBM ProtecTIER, Veeam, Sepaton and Gresham EDT, Servergraph gives you a composite picture of how all three are working from one screen
From the same Enterprise menu, select 'Long Term Trend Graph' and you see a report like this
The 'Long Term Trends' option shown above displays charts that illustrate how the capacity of databases, logs and storage pools is changing and when they will run out. This is useful for both Capacity and Budget planning.
The '30 day backup status for all Nodes' report shows just that, and gives an instant picture of any backups that are getting repeated errors.
This report shows an overview of all clients by operating system and server type.
A particularly useful graph is one which shows each node's behavior over 24 hours. This data can be used to detect nodes suffering from speed problems due to incorrect network card settings.
Some of the ServerGraph pages are wider than a screen and you have to scroll right to see the edge. This can be a bit annoying, but you can hide the Left side navigation menu by simply clicking on the collapse icon on the navigation bar. This gives you full screen viewing of reports and dashboards. Click again to see the navigation tree.
ServerGraph communicates with the Spectrum Protect servers on port 1500 by default. You must ensure that this port is open and accessible through your firewalls.
ServerGraph 8.1 New Features
- The performance and scalability of Servergraph has been improved with a new PostgreSQL database. PostgreSQL also offers enhanced reliability and delivers expanded security for your database.
- The Servergraph admin console is now accessible from any browser and does not require the installation of Java. This simplifies the installation, configuration, and administration of Servergraph across an organization, while also offering added security.
- Now you can improve the efficiency of NetBackup configurations by individually scheduling their data collection processes. This new enhancement offers IT administrators additional flexibility in scheduling backups, not simply a 'one size fits all' solution.
- The security for user authentication has been refined, allowing Servergraph administrators to use their standard login information to access Cloud Connector.
- You can now create dynamic Servergraph scopes from Spectrum Protect Node group information. This helps to cut down on administrative overhead by updating Servergraph Scopes automatically from changes made to Spectrum Protect Node groups, making it easier to avoid duplicate efforts in managing chargebacks and reporting.
back to top