Storage Vendor News
Hu Yoshidas blog
What Goes Into Winning the VMware Innovation OEM award for 2017?
Tue, 20 Jun 2017
VMware Partner Leadership Summit 2017 which took place last month, concluded with awards ceremonies recognizing exemplary achievements in the VMware Partner ecosystem. Hitachi was singled out as the Innovation OEM partner, globally and in EMEA. The two awards recognise Hitachi's accomplishments in 2016, including unprecedented year-over-year revenue growth and continued integration between Hitachi Unified Compute Platform (UCP) offerings and VMware vSphere, vSAN, vRealize and NSX solutions.
Hitachi’s unique integration with VMware through its Unified Compute Platform orchestration software layer has always been a key innovation from the very beginning of our OEM relationship. In 2016 Hitachi Data Systems announced enhanced integration with VMware Solutions with new support for VMware NSX, Docker Containers and enhanced VMware vSphere Virtual Volumes, which strengthens Converged and Hyperconverged Portfolios to Automate IT, improve security and enable application continuity. Hitachi also debuted all-flash versions of UCP 4000, UCP 4000E, UCP 2000 and UCP HC V240F and now offers all-flash configurations across its entire portfolio of converged and hyperconverged infrastructure platforms, to deliver powerful performance for enterprise applications and help customers move to an all-flash data center. Hitachi extended its OEM agreement to include VMware NSX for use with Hitachi Unified Compute Platform.
The justification for the Innovation OEM partner award from VMware can be summarized in the data sheet “Top 10 reasons to select Hitachi Unified Compute Platform for VMware vSphere”
The following are the key points. For more detail and customer use cases, please take the time to review the referenced data sheet.
1. Hitachi’s UCP Director and UCP Advisor orchestration software can plug into VMware vCenter for mouse-click simplicity for extending the cloud management capabilities.
2. UCP for VMware vSphere is a pre-engineered, validated, turnkey solution that is preconfigured at the factory and delivered to your site racked, cabled, and configured for fast deployment and rapid transition to the cloud.
3. Accelerate time to market by leveraging all the elements of a software-defined data center including VMware’s software –defined networking solution NSX. This integration helps automate SDN capabilities and improve security with VM-level firewalls.
4. Infrastructure flexibility satisfies the requirements of any VMware data center infrastructure from high-end block or file-based highly available, cost-effective storage products to converged and hyperconverged systems, to enterprise cloud solutions.
5. Industry leading performance dramatically increases the pace of innovation for the most demanding online transaction or data analytics application. In addition to all flash support, UCP for VMware vSphere is SAP certified. Hitachi enterprise-level solutions for SAP HANA enable 24/7, mission critical, in memory, HANA environments.
6. Significant economic benefits result from UCP’s product family architecture which consists of an economical open system that leverages modular building blocks for converged and hyperconverged infrastructures.A third party report by the Edison group shows significant TCA and TCO savings over comparable DIY and VCE configurations.
7. Reduce TCO for virtualization and cloud management through industry leading infrastructure orchestration technology which is fully integrated into the overall system. When used with cloud automation software such as vRealize Automation, UCP solutions enable cloud self-service and role based access functionality.
8. Protect current IT investment and modernize for future growth. UCP for VMware vShpere integrates and protects your current infrastructure investment while enabling you to expand as needed.
9. Create a software defined data center (SDDC) with enterprise grade storage, compute, network and software from Hitachi Data Systems and leading virtualization capabilities from VMware including VMware Virtual SAN and VMware NSX.
10. Optimize Business Continuity with UCP Director and VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager for automated disaster recovery and fast replication to move secondary copies to off-site recovery locations.
Digital transformation requires reliable infrastructure that can deliver cloud like economics and agility, with improved efficiency and simplified manageability. IT transformation requires a single solution that can modernize their core legacy applications while enabling them to bridge to innovative new cloud based solutions. The innovations in the partnership between VMware and Hitachi Data Systems will help businesses drive change and stay ahead of the competition. Unlike DIY or joint efforts by multiple compute, storage and networking vendors, Hitachi’s OEM relationship with VMware provides a major benefit in streamlining the acquisition, maintenance, and ongoing support for VMware vSphere solutions.
Twenty five years ago when I returned to California after living in Japan, I was able to realize my dream of building my own custom home. At that time home builders in California were buying up farmland and throwing up houses as fast as they could. I wanted something different. Something with the quality and attention to detail that I was used to in Japan but on a larger scale. I was fortunate to find an architect and contractor who shared my vision for quality. Building a house is a very manual process with opportunities for human error at every step. While other contractors hired low cost itinerant subcontractors who moved from site to site to do the framing or shingle the roof, our contractor kept the same subcontractors for each job to ensure quality execution and follow through.
My colleague in Infrastructure Solutions, Tony Huynh, believes that architecting and building an effective data center is akin to how a proven home builder creates a blueprint for a rock-solid home that customers buy with confidence in its long term value. Both the IT Architect and the home builder has similar qualities – solid engineering prowess, efficient execution, and a predictable, high quality result. Conversely, a shoddy home builder can put something together quickly (and even cheaper), but the results will reflect their effort. Tony contributed the following post to explain the benefits of using the Hitachi Automation Director in building an effective data center.
The approach to implementing a modern data center should be looked at in its’ totality. This is especially true when you’re considering deploying flash technology for your critical tier 0 and tier 1 applications. In addition to the core hardware “bits”, an assessment should be taken for the robustness of the underlying OS, as well as complementary software that makes the solution complete, whole – a solid brick house.
Intellectual property and engineering prowess has always mattered, more so now more than ever.
For our Hitachi VSP F all flash and VSP G hybrid arrays, we offer Hitachi Automation Director – our data center automation software that helps reduce, in some cases manual processes by 90% by utilizing templates for automatic provisioning and other resource intensive tasks. By reducing manual processes, this can then result in significantly reduced probability of human errors. And we all know the financial, brand, and customer impact of a single keystroke error.
Today, we have a large Hitachi Automation Director customer that previously spent 23 hours+ manually provisioning storage for their AIX servers, and they did this 100+ times a month (that’s not a typo). With Automation Director, they have now reduced the same provision process down to less than <50 minutes.
BEFORE HITACHI AUTOMATION DIRECTOR
23 Hours x ~100 times a month = ~2300 manual hours. HIGH PROBABILITY FOR HUMAN ERRORS
WITH HITACHI AUTOMATION DIRECTOR
<50 minutes x ~100 times a month = 83 hours. SIGNIFICANT REDUCTION IN HUMAN ERRORS
Imagine what can be accomplished with the additional ~2200 hours freed up per month in IT resources https://www.hds.com/en-us/pdf/datasheet/hitachi-datasheet-automation-director.pdf
NEW HITACHI AUTOMATION DIRECTOR 8.5.1
We are constantly investing in features that help customers optimize their VSP F and G Flash deployments. Introducing Hitachi Automation Director 8.5.1, with automatic flash pool optimization.
This new feature reduces the manual processes associated with increasing flash pool sizes, which would take seven steps.
With HAD 8.5.1, this can now be collapsed into two steps (see figure below). That’s a 70% reduction over manual processes, but the benefits are compounded since HAD will automatically increase the pool size without future storage admin/user intervention.
When it comes to choosing a solution for critical flash workloads, it’s important to look for the entirety of the solution. Your VSP Flash deployments can reach its maximum effectiveness with Hitachi Automation Director by reducing manual provisioning processes by 90%. This has a direct impact on significantly lowering risks of human errors, and re-directing those IT resources to other strategic projects.